Thanksgiving Care & Share is Here!
Every year, the Highland community—families and faculty—work together to make Thanksgiving happen for some of our neighbors in need. Through the Thanksgiving Care & Share Food Drive, families donate nonperishable foods; teachers, ad-ministrators, and sta¬ff donate money (to buy perishable items like rolls and produce); and everyone donates grocery store tur-key coupons, all of which goes to make Thanksgiving dinner a reality for families right here in the Highland community. The nonperishable food collection (on the big table in the lobby near the Front Office) runs through Friday, November 21. The re-quested donations by grade level are as follows:
- K–2: stuffing; potatoes; gravy; cranberry sauce
- 3–4: desserts; breakfast and lunch items
- 5–6: soup; canned vegetables (sweet potatoes, corn, beans, etc.)
For details on the collection, please contact John Spiegelman (215-740-4306, email@example.com). Thank you for your generosi-ty!
Highland Book Fair at Barnes & Noble
The Highland Book Fair at Barnes & Noble (102 Park Avenue, Willow Grove, PA 19090) is just around the corner: Friday, November 21, 4:30–7:30PM. It’s a perfect time to get an early start on gifts. 20% of sales will support new books for our library! You will have a jam-packed night of fun and activities, including many of Highland’s very own talents! Guest appearances will include Elsa from Frozen! Hope to see you there!
Zumba Program Starts Next Week
Get fit and have fun with dynamic Zumba led by certified instructor—and Highland’s own—Cindy Russ! The program runs for five Mondays: November 10, 17, & 24 and December 1 & 8, 3:20–4:45PM. This afterschool activity is open to girls in grades 2–6. Each participant must have sneakers and a water bottle. Only $25 for the five-week series. (Stipends are available.)
Science Faire Sign Up Extended
The signup period for the Fifth Annual Highland Science Fair (on Friday, January 9, 2015) has been extended. If you’d like to participate, contact Melanie Wills (firstname.lastname@example.org, 215-481-9657) or Marcy Simon (email@example.com, 267-312-1966) by Friday, November 14.
Pops For Tops
Congratulations to Ms. Daniels’s second grade class for bringing in the most box tops for the month of October. They received delicious Tootsie Roll Pops for their work. Get your Box Tops for Education in this month and see if you can beat them in No-vember! We also count Labels for Education in the totals. Thank you to everyone at Highland who contributed.
Here’s What’s Happening
- Monday–Friday, November 3–7: Nonviolent Conflict Resolution Week
- Monday–Friday, November 3–21: Care & Share Thanksgiving Food Drive collection
- Friday, November 7: Red, White, and Blue Day
- Tuesday, November 11: Board of School Directors Meeting: 7:30PM in the Central Administration Building
- Monday–Friday, November 17–21: American Education Week
- Friday, November 21: Highland Barnes & Noble Book Fair: 4:30-7:30PM at Barnes & Noble (102 Park Avenue, Willow Grove, PA 19090)
- Tuesday, November 25: Care & Share Thanksgiving Food Drive packing day
- Tuesday, November 25: Board of School Directors Meeting: 7:30PM in the Central Administration Building
- Thursday–Friday, November 27–28: School Closed for Thanksgiving holiday
- Friday, December 5: School Spirit Day