Thanksgiving Care & Share Starts Next Week!
Every year, the Highland community—families and faculty—work together to make Thanksgiving happen for some of our neighbors in need. Through the Thanksgiving Care & Share Food Drive, families donate nonperishable foods; teachers, ad-ministrators, and sta¬ff donate money (to buy perishable items like rolls and produce); and everyone donates grocery store tur-key coupons, all of which goes to make Thanksgiving dinner a reality for families right here in the Highland community. The nonperishable food collection (on the big table in the lobby near the Front Office) starts next week on Monday, November 3 and runs through Friday, November 21. The requested donations by grade level are as follows:
- K–2: stuffing; potatoes; gravy; cranberry sauce
- 3–4: desserts; breakfast and lunch items
- 5–6: soup; canned vegetables (sweet potatoes, corn, beans, etc.)
For details on the collection, please see the Care & Share flyer in today’s packet, or contact John Spiegelman (215-740-4306, email@example.com). Thank you for your generosity!
Reminder: Zumba Program
Get fit and have fun with dynamic Zumba led by certified instructor—and Highland’s own—Cindy Russ! The program runs for five Mondays: November 10, 17, & 24 and December 1 & 8, 3:20–4:45PM. This afterschool activity is open to girls in grades 2–6. Each participant must have sneakers and a water bottle. Only $25 for the five-week series. (Stipends are available.)
Sixth Grade Facebook Page
Calling all sixth grade families: Keep up with all the latest sixth grade news via social media by joining the Highland Elementary Sixth Grade Facebook Group. Just go to https://www.facebook.com/groups/764580006897951/ to join.
Let Us Know What’s Happening
Husky Happenings is YOUR newsletter, so if you have a blurb to include—or a flyer to include in Thursday packets—here’s how to make that happen:
- Send your blurb or flyer to Mr. Etlen (firstname.lastname@example.org) for his approval, with a CC to HH editor John Spiegelman (email@example.com).
- Once Mr. Etlen approves your blurb, you’re good to go—it will go into the next edition.
- Once Mr. Etlen OKs your flyer, please have 375 hard copies printed. (You can fill out an order form—located in the PTO room—for the School District copy service, which takes about a week to copy. Or if you have a laptop or USB-compatible wireless device, you can print from the PTO room printer.) Leave the hard copies on the back counter of the PTO room with a note indicating the date of the Thursday packet in which you’d like the flyer included. Then it will go out on the date you requested.
Here’s What’s Happening
- Friday, October 31: Costume Parade: 9:15AM in front of school
- Friday, October 31: Classroom parties: 2:30–3:00PM
- Monday–Friday, November 3–7: Nonviolent Conflict Resolution Week
- Monday–Friday, November 3–21: Care & Share Thanksgiving Food Drive collection
- Tuesday, November 4: Election Day: In-service day/no classes in all ASD schools; please remember to VOTE! Plus, the sixth grade will be holding a bake sale outside the polling place at school!
- Thursday, November 6: School Spirit Day
- Friday, November 7: Red, White, and Blue Day
- Tuesday, November 11: Board of School Directors Meeting: 7:30PM in the Central Administration Building
- Monday–Friday, November 17–21: American Education Week
- Friday, November 21: Highland Barnes & Noble Book Fair: 4:30-7:30PM at Barnes & Noble (102 Park Avenue, Willow Grove, PA 19090)
- Tuesday, November 25: Care & Share Thanksgiving Food Drive packing day
- Tuesday, November 25: Board of School Directors Meeting: 7:30PM in the Central Administration Building
- Thursday–Friday, November 27–28: School Closed for Thanksgiving holiday